Transitioned Into Purpose

I just want to start off and say that being an adult is hard! I don’t know what part of childhood made me want to rush this moment, but it’s definitely not what it seems. In October, I had to make a decision that was one of the hardest I’ve faced in a while. I gave up pretty much my privacy and job to transition into purpose. What I was doing for a living didn’t bring me joy and it wasn’t what I wanted to do in the long run. I’ve been trying to leave for like a year but just didn’t find the right fit.

I’m gonna be honest, money got real tight. I had to make a decision on if the $30 left over from my check was gonna go to food or gas in my tank. With struggling so much to remain living on my own, working full-time and attending grad school, I decided to move back home. Y’all it was so hard, but I couldn’t suffer anymore. I was literally crying before work every day because I didn’t want to be there. I got tired of not being able to do much because my bills were more than what I was bringing home. I had to make a sacrifice to transition into my purpose.

What that looks like now? Well, I found a job that is geared towards what I am studying in school, I have more money now to invest in the online store that I am building, I can finally SAVE money, and I don’t have much stress.  I don’t want to make it seem like it was that easy to get rid of my apartment, full-time job, and move back to a bedroom. I broked down a lot because I wanted to be sure that I was making the right decision. I felt low in value because I went from holding down everything on my own to being back at square one. My ego was a bit bruised because I needed help.

Now that I am three months into this adjustment in my life, I start to see more benefits. I have the opportunity to start over in a sense. Meaning, once I’m done school I can decide to purchase a home or move to a new city. Working part-time, I can focus more on school, internship, and building my brand. I have more time and a flexible schedule to birth out parts of my purpose. It’s all working out for me and I couldn’t’ be gladder that I took a risk.

What I learned was that we don’t take care of ourselves like we should. I was letting my mental health suffer by staying at a place where I wasn’t happy because I was afraid to reach for something better. I continued to suffer just to say that I have my own spot but was truly broke every two weeks. I was holding up my purpose for materialistic things. Once I realized that how I felt getting out of bed every morning was more important to me than a job, apartment, car, or money – it gave me the push I needed to propel into purpose.

What will your push be to transition you into purpose? Let me know in the comments.

As always,

Leave Inspired.

28 Comments

1. I’m so happy you decided to do what was best for you and move back home. Being an adult is super hard lol I couldn’t wait to grow up when I was in high school now I’m like, “WHAT WAS I THINKING?” I wish I had the option to move back home to help me advance, but I have 3 kids lol. I’m back in school so I know how that can be stressful too. Sometimes in life we have to take what might feel like a step backwards to move forward how we want to. Continue to make those decisions that will benefit you more in the long run. Keep pushing, I’m rooting for you!

Liked by 1 person

1. Geneva thank you for this post! In the beginning I definitely didn’t think about what you said in regards to “sometimes we have to take a step back to move forward” that was powerful. I will say mentally I’m in a better position now and I see the benefits for sure.

Liked by 1 person

2. It’s so true that there really is light at the end of the tunnel. A lot of times when we’re going through the roughest times in our lives we have no way of knowing how we’re going to get out of it. Sacrifice is required to take us to the next level.and it never feel good…But let me tell you once you realize what your purpose is it feels good! For me I choose to run on faith. I alway say #IRunOnFaith Because my faith is what carried me through a lot of the mess that’s happened in my life. I think you made the right choice. Many blessings to you.

Liked by 1 person

3. Sometimes we are put in situations that will break us and then put us back to pieces again. I think you made the right choice for you. Sometimes we have to use every opportunity that we are faced with to grow. Well wishes on your journey as you continue to learn more about adulthood.

4. This post spoke volumes to my current situation. I too just finished my bachelors degree, I have a job that I absolutely dread going to everyday, and my sense of happiness and mental state have seem to suffer in the process. So I definitely understand, sometimes you have to make those adjustments in order to stay sane and always be sure you never sacrifice your happiness.

5. This post is truly an inspiration wow I’m so proud of you that you made the right decision I was where you were just yesterday and today I feel more motivated to start doing all I need to do well not the moving part because I still live with my mom but I’m a small beauty store owner and I decided to get a full time job and then go to my store after the job well didn’t work out so I’m recallorating things and planning to just focus on growing my blog my YouTube and my store

Liked by 1 person

1. Your most welcome I’m here anytime to give a word of encouragement not sure if we are following each other on insta but I’m gonna check your page site and follow you on your socials if I’m not. I hope you have a wonderful day today

Liked by 1 person

6. I love this. I think this is so many of our stories. I am in a transition now. Though I know it will be difficult (and I may lose some people along the way), my happiness with my life is integral to my success.

xoxo Lani

Liked by 1 person

7. I love how vulnerable you were with this piece. Adulting is just this — making decisions that are in the best interest of your future and not holding on to your “now” just to prove a point. My latest push is to put me first. I’ve always done for the betterment of others while forgetting about myself. Since I can’t pour from an empty cup and I need to be able to do for myself too, I’m no longer doing that.

Liked by 1 person

8. I felt this! I just started a new job 2 weeks ago and it’s already the best thing I have done for myself and future careers. I too had wanted to stay at my old job because a stable stream of income seemed worth it. It was not. And I regret not leaving the mentally toxic scene earlier than I did.

Liked by 1 person

9. Good for you for doing what’s BEST for you even if you had to swallow your pride! Nowadays many people are staying home longer or moving back home to save money and there’s nothing wrong with that! It’s going to become the new normal. I also think it gives people time to get the know what they want out of life more and have family support right along with saving money. Kudos to you!

Liked by 1 person

10. That’s great that you took a step back to pursue your purpose, and you are balancing it all out. I’m currently working on balancing pursuing mine with everything else I have going on.

11. This gives me so many memories about when I was in a position I was less than thrilled about. Something you have to do what’s best for YOU, even if it might not appear to be best for your career.

Liked by 1 person

12. I’m sure most people find themselves in a job they don’t like. Fortunately, personal purpose and fullfillment can come from places outside of a professional career. Otherwise, we’d all be depressed. LOL! I’m so glad you were able to change your circumstances though. Life in general is a challenge. But you’re in a great position to map out a new plan! I wish you nothing but the best.